Re: Linux TCP/IP vs *BSD (fwd)

ig25@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:49:26 +0100

Just in case somebody missed this.

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: butenuth@lilienthal.uni-paderborn.de (Roger Butenuth)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux TCP/IP vs *BSD
Date: 30 Jan 1997 16:17:10 GMT

In article <5clglp$1vt@stingray.net>, cummings@stingray.net (Matthew Cummings) writes:
>> In article <87afpuu5da.fsf@localhost.xs4all.nl>,
>> Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl> writes:
>> > I'm sorry, no. Face the truth: FreeBSD has indeed better networking.
>> I'm curious, could you please post your benchmarks since you seem to know
>> what you're talking about and I'm interested.

At least under some conditions Linux tcp/ip is dead slow. If you write
packets of varying size in one direction, answering every packet with
one byte, performance is bad for sizes in the range MTU + 1 to about
2 * MTU. This can be observed over ethernet or even locally. You can
download the benchmark:

http://www.uni-paderborn.de/fachbereich/AG/heiss/butenuth/tcp_bench.c

I suppose some sort of bug and would be glad if it can be fixed.

--
Roger Butenuth
University of Paderborn