Re: NFS problems (was Re: how to diagnose persistent hangs in rpc_recv?)

Nelson Minar (nelson@media.mit.edu)
30 Jan 1997 18:36:56 -0500

davis@space.mit.edu (John E. Davis) writes:
> On 27 Jan 1997 20:09:05 -0500, Nelson Minar <nelson@media.mit.edu> wrote:
> >For the past few months my Linux box has had persistent, occasional
> >problems of processes hanging in rpc_recv.
> I am also having this problem with 2.0.28 and amd (amd920824upl90).
> In addition to hanging in rpc_revc, I also have process that hang in
> wait_on_page.

I see this as well, but wasn't sure it was NFS related. Is that call
used when mapping in a non-cached part of the text image of a program?
I see this bug most often in netscape. The netscape binary is not NFS
mounted, but god knows what other files it uses.

> I do not recall having any of these problems in the early 1.3.X series
> and I certainly did not have them with 1.2.13. Something is definitely
> wrong with the 2.0.XX NFS implementation.

That's my impression too. Can anyone at least confirm these problems?
No suggestions on what to fix?

(I saw Adam Neat's suggestion to check the configuration of the
loopback device, as well as hosts.allow/deny. I think those are
correct for me. In any event, problems in those configurations would
presumably cause catastrophic failure, not the occasional outage we're
seeing.)