Re: root login?

Mark H. Wood (mhwood@ameritech.net)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:47:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, jht wrote:
> I use win95's telnet connect to RedHat Linux (kernel 2.0.33).
> I can not login using the name 'root'(of course I give the right
> password), but I can login using another name(such as 'guest')
> and 'su' to root. Why? thanks!

Others have explained why, but I think your question was really, "how?"
If RH is anything like ancient Slackware in this regard, look for
/etc/securetty. root can only login on the terminals named there. If
you really want to allow people to attempt root logins via Telnet, add
the /dev/ttyp* special files to the list in that file. But you'd be
better off to leave things alone and make people use su so you can track
them, as others have suggested.

--
Mark H. Wood, radical centrist                             mhwood@ameritech.net
Charlie, put down that Glitter Glue -- it's time to show the audience