Re: Telnet

Mark H. Wood (mhwood@ameritech.net)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:55:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Mark A. Swope wrote:
> Okay, I'm really not familiar with this from
> the admin side. I'm running a Slackware
> distribution upgraded to kernel 2.0.36.
> When I type "telnet localhost" I get
> a login screen and can log back into
> my computer.
>
> I can't find telnetd running anywhere
> though. What's allowing me to do this?

Everybody has been dancing around this question. If you are looking for
a process running 'telnetd' you likely won't find one. Look in
/etc/inetd.conf and I think you'll see that Telnet connections are
configured to run 'in.telnetd'. From time to time I forget that many of
the older daemons are traditionally named in.SOMETHINGd and it takes a
moment before I can figure out why e.g. /etc/hosts.deny isn't working as
I think it should.

Now, if you telnet to the box, then enter 'ps ax | grep telnetd' and you
only see your own grep command, then something is seriously weird,
because a line containing 'in.telnetd' is also a line containing
'telnetd'. But you didn't say how you are searching for the daemon.

--
Mark H. Wood, radical centrist                             mhwood@ameritech.net
Charlie, put down that Glitter Glue -- it's time to show the audience