Re: extremely slow server -pc-net32-

Max Klohn (amk@span.ch)
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:13:18 +0100

Sorry for the late answer I was away one month.

Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 02:27:12PM +0100, Max Klohn wrote:
> > I then remembered having read something about strange things happening
> > when two lone pc-net32 cards were facing each other... and amd posting
> > driver fixes for that
>
> nonsense. There is no problem with two PCnet32 chips talking to each other.
> At my former work we had complete networks with PCnet32 based cards
> without any problems. Two of my machines in my home network are working
> with PCnet32 cards. And if there were a performance problem I would
> have debugged it. But there is none, I get the full bandwitdh of 10Mbit/s
> in both directions.
>
> Thomas.

Okay if it's not the driver then the only possibility I see then is that my
PC-net32 cards come from a defective batch, which wouldn't be overly
surprising given the fact that it has already happened with other material
from the same [cheap] reseller.
My new reseller offers some 3Com stuff
In your opinion, and speaking of 10 Mbit/s ethernet and linux, what would be
the best netcards to go with?

M.K.