RE: Hardware Reqmts for an IP Masquerader

Lloyd Sumpter (Lloyd.Sumpter@BCHydro.bc.ca)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:31:12 -0800 (PST)

I'm doing (exactly!) this with a P120 with 32 MB RAM, and the CPU usage is
fixed on zero. I'd say if you keep the machine "lean and mean" (eg don't run X)
you could do it easily with a 386/33 and 8MB RAM.
Firewalling doesn't take much horsepower. It's just passing (or not passing)
packets around - not like calculating a 3-byte colour of every pixel of a
800x600 screen...
As long as you're adding RAM, I'd say 16MB, or maybe 32MB. That would allow
you to run X easily as well.