Re: POP problems

Thomas Pawlikaniec (neutrino@ece.mcgill.ca)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:07:54 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Henrique Pantarotto wrote:

> >>-------SNIP-------<
> >>From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Mar 10 13:38:52 1999
> >Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:38:52 -0500 (EST)
> >From: Mail System Internal Data <MAILER-DAEMON@MODEM.GMAGROUP>
> >Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA
> >
> >That is quite confusing to the users and me and I'm afraid it might mess
> >up the mailbox, too. Actually, I'm not sure whether it happens to anyone
> >but root. Does that make sense?
>
> I don't think your users are getting this message. Maybe only you, because
> you are root (although most POP daemons don't permit root to get mail).

FYI...

This first message also appears on my university's system, solaris 2.6. We
got POP/IMAP installed not so long ago, but might be an independent issue.
Using pine's 'save' function creates this message for every new file. It
adds messages to an existing file just as it used to do with older
versions (append the full text).
As a side-effect, integrating two mailboxes with a simple 'cat' (as I
used to do before) now gives errors upon opening the combined file.
I've never bothered to get deeper into this, just my 2E-1000000001 cents.

Thomas Pawlikaniec
.sig was soooo boring