Re: 3c905 errors on RX with kernel 2.2.3

Nigel Stepp (stepp@mithril.res.cmu.edu)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:07:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> Receive errors or transmit errors?
>
> > RX packets:18837 errors:1515 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:2640
> > TX packets:10644 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:4293
> > collisions:1170 txqueuelen:100
>
> Ahhh, both. Tx carrier errors often indicates a duplex mismatch, with the
> local end using half duplex while the remote end is using full duplex. Try
> using the default setting on both cards, rather than trying to explicitly
> set the interface type or duplex.

Just curious, what are frame errors usally indicative of? I haven't been
able to find anything very concrete about them. For example, would you
get frame errors (and only frame errors) if you set the media type
incorrectly? Or could they be caused by some bad hardware on the network
somewhere?

Thanks.

> Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
> Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
> 301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

---
$ fortune -s
Luck can't last a lifetime, unless you die young.
		-- Russell Banks