Re: Multiple Ethernet Cards

Mark Gritter (mark@erdos.stanford.edu)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:55:00 -0800 (PST)

Mark Riehl writes:
> Guys,
>
> I'm running Slackware 3.6 (2.0.35) on a 486/100 I'm trying to set up as =
> an IP masqer. I have two new ISA SMC 1660BT LAN cards. I used the =
> setup utility to set the first card to IRQ 9, I/O 320 and the second =
> card to IRQ 12, I/O 340.
>
> For some reason, I'm only seeing one of the cards. I have support in =
> the kernel for NE2000 cards.
>
> Can I force it to see the second card in lilo.conf?

Yup. I believe the autoprobing stops after discovering only one card.
You can tell the kernel about the second one by including kernel options
in your lilo.conf, like this:

append="ether=12,0x340,eth1"

A comment in drivers/net/ne.c (in the 2.2.x series) suggests:

/*
* Note that at boot, this probe only picks up one card at a time, even for
* multiple PCI ne2k cards. Use "ether=0,0,eth1" if you have a second PCI
* ne2k card. This keeps things consistent regardless of the bus type of
* the card.
*/

Dunno if this would work for ISA, though.

Mark Gritter
mgritter@cs.stanford.edu