Re: Replacing E-mail Alias for Real Address

David Kramer (david@kramer.ne.mediaone.net)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:13:58 -0500

deedsmis@ris.net wrote:

> How do you replace an alias e-mail address for a real e-mail address
> when sending a message? And, what other issues need attention when
> dealing with this sort of switching?

Let's say you want to be able to send email to krycek on your mail
server (trustno1.com), but you want the email sent to
krycek@trustno1.com to really be routed to spooky@fbi.gov. You need to
put a line in your aliases file like:
krycek: spooky@fbi.gov

A simpler example is, lets say your mailserver is also a webserver, and
you be "da man" (sysadmin). So you want email going to root or
webmaster to be rerouted to your account (csm). You would do:
root: csm
webmaster: csm

Depending on your version of sendmail, your aliases file will either be
in /etc/ or /etc/mail/. After you update the aliases file, you must
issue the command "newaliases" to update the database and activate the
changes.

Try "man aliases" even if you try this and it works, because there's so
much more you can do.

Hope I gave you the right mixture of the fishing pole and the fish.