Re: Replacing E-mail Alias for Real Address

deedsmis@ris.net
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:24:17 -0700

> Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:13:58 -0500
> From: David Kramer <david@kramer.ne.mediaone.net>
>
> deedsmis@ris.net wrote:
> >
> > How do you replace an alias e-mail address for a real e-mail address
> > when sending a message? And, what other issues need attention when
> > dealing with this sort of switching?
>
> Let's say you want to be able to send email to krycek on your mail
> server (trustno1.com), but you want the email sent to
> krycek@trustno1.com to really be routed to spooky@fbi.gov. You need to
> put a line in your aliases file like:
> krycek: spooky@fbi.gov
>
> A simpler example is, lets say your mailserver is also a webserver, and
> you be "da man" (sysadmin). So you want email going to root or
> webmaster to be rerouted to your account (csm). You would do:
> root: csm
> webmaster: csm
>
> Depending on your version of sendmail, your aliases file will either be
> in /etc/ or /etc/mail/. After you update the aliases file, you must
> issue the command "newaliases" to update the database and activate the
> changes.
>
> Try "man aliases" even if you try this and it works, because there's so
> much more you can do.

You were very clear on the above matter and I appreciate it.

What I'm trying to do and the part I left out (Sorry, my mistake) is replace the
alias "From" address with a real outgoing "From" address. How is this done and
what other issues need attention?