Re: Sendmail: DNS lookups

Glynn Clements (glynn@sensei.co.uk)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:24:09 +0000 (GMT)

Jeff McBride wrote:

> Right now, whenever sendmail gets an e-mail it trys to do a dns lookup on
> the sender's domain and if it can't find it rejects the mail. This often
> happens when a domain(ie, something.org, as opposed to
> www.something.org)doesn't have an A record.

Are you sure that it's just lacking an A record?

> I don't see why sendmail should care,

It shouldn't care about A records. It should accept messages if the
sender's domain resolves to anything, not just an A record.

> and I would like to disable it.
> Unfortuanatly, my sendmail
> knowledge(for now) is somewhat limited:). Could someone point me to a
> config option to change this?

Use FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains) when building sendmail.cf.
Alternatively, replace the lines

with

R<?> $* < @ $+ > $* $: <OK> $1 < @ $2 > $3 ... unresolvable OK

--