Re: Redhat 5.2 on a laptop

Harry Brueckner (brueckner@respublica.de)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:21:25 +0200 (MET DST)

"Michael Mansour" <mic@npgx.com.au> wrote:
> I'm hoping for some help from anyone with knowledge about RH5.2 on a laptop.
>
> I have recently installed RH5.2 on my Toshiba Tecra 8000, and when using the
> stock kernel my 3COM combo eth/modem is automatically detected and I connect
> to the network via DHCP without issues.
>
> However, when I compile the kernel and make modules_install, there does not
> exist any
>
> /lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia
>
> directory, instead the kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.0.36-3.rpm installs it's modules
> into
>
> /lib/modules/2.0.36-3/pcmcia
>
> Obviously when the new kernel boots, it reports on boot that it cannot find
>
> /lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia
>
> and therefore does not load my 3c589_cs.o module and I have no network
> connection.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

You need the pcmcia_cs package and compile it seperately after you install a new
kernel. I don't have my notebook here right now so I can't tell what the exact
package name is but in the default kernel it is installed in a directory like
/usr/src/linux/pcmcia_cs*.
When you install the src.rpm package for the pcmcia_cs package just follow the
install instructions in the INSTALL or README file and all will work perfectly
again. :-)

Harry