Re: Redhat 5.2 on a laptop

Kevin Traas (ktraas@uniserve.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:39:29 -0700

I, too, run RH5.2 on my Toshiba T8K. It works great!

As root, just do:

cd /lib/modules
mv 2.0.36 2.0.36-old
ln -s 2.0.36-3 2.0.36

Regards,
Kevin Traas

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Mansour
To: linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc: linux-admin@vger.rutgers.edu
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 1999 11:22 PM
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on a laptop

Hi,

I'm hoping for some help from anyone with knowledge about RH5.2 on a laptop.

I have recently installed RH5.2 on my Toshiba Tecra 8000, and when using the
stock kernel my 3COM combo eth/modem is automatically detected and I connect
to the network via DHCP without issues.

However, when I compile the kernel and make modules_install, there does not
exist any

/lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia

directory, instead the kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.0.36-3.rpm installs it's modules
into

/lib/modules/2.0.36-3/pcmcia

Obviously when the new kernel boots, it reports on boot that it cannot find

/lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia

and therefore does not load my 3c589_cs.o module and I have no network
connection.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thankyou.

Michael.