Re: Kernel: Problem: block

SoloCDM (deedsmis@ris.net)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:47:08 -0600

SoloCDM wrote:

> Jim Zajkowski wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, SoloCDM wrote:
> >
> > } Apr 20 16:34:33 <host> kernel: Problem: block on freelist at
> > } 01210bd0 isn't free.
> >
> > Looks like it might be kernel bug; what kernel version are you using?
>
> I'm using kernel 2.0.36.
>
> I think I found the problem: the address is a hexadecimal location in
> memory and the maximum amount of 64MB memory was reached when I tried to
> access the server with a browser from a remote machine for a user's web
> page while running Gnome on the server.

I found something else, bdflush and update couldn't make any more room by
flushing and updating memory, so they placed the entry in the messages log
and refused transactions from occurring to the system. The block didn't
lockup my server, but I did need to reboot to get the system back in running
order.

One of the todo options on my shopping list is more memory and hard drive,
so it doesn't surprise me that something like this happened.