Re: Samba server does not show up in W98 browse list.

Mark E Drummond (donthomp@luna.cs.unm.edu)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:11:42 -0600 (MDT)

Is it on the same network? ie. do the win98 and samba machines have the
same broadcast address? Browsing is normally limited to machines with the
same broadcast address, except under special circumstances.

If you can, enable wins support on the samba server and make it either a
local master or domain master. Have the win98 machines use the samba
server for wins resolution. This should definately make the samba server
show up in the network neighborhood, as well as making browsing across
subnets possible. Also, this should fix the problem if your samba server
and 98 machines are on different networks.

Last but not least, netbios and browsing are incredibly slow to update
themselves. The samba docs tell you to wait about an hour before checking
your browse lists after the samba server has started. I've found this to
be more like 24 hours actually.

You should also be running the most recent samba available, which I
believe is 2.0.3.

-Don