RE: Samba server does not show up in W98 browse list.

Alexander.vanLuijpen@nym.sc.philips.com
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:19:18 +0200

1: Yes, it is on the same network. IP 192.168.1.1/24 for the server,
192.168.1.2 and .1.6 for two Win98 clients. Both are configured thru DHCP on
the server.

2: Here is the relevant smb.conf piece on WINS
; Domain Control Options
; OS Level gives Samba the power to rule the roost. Windows NT = 32
; Any value < 32 means NT wins as Master Browser, > 32 Samba gets it
os level = 33
; specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser
domain master = yes
; Use with care only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
; configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
; domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>
; Domain logon control can be a good thing! See [netlogon] share section
below!
domain logons = yes
; run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
; logon script = %m.bat
; run a specific logon batch file per username
; logon script = %u.bat
; Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section
; WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
; the default is NO.
wins support = yes
; WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
; Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
; wins server = w.x.y.z
; WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on behalf of a
non
; WINS Client capable client, for this to work there must be at least
one
; WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
; wins proxy = yes

Although I'm not quite certain dhcpd specifies them to use WINS

3: The server runs continuesly, while the win clients are shut down every
day. They automagically mount their //server/homes on startup. I even had
the clients log on using Microsnot Networking, but this also didnt allow the
machines to show up. But when both clients are up, they can see each other
just fine.

4: I am still running 1.9.18p5, which came with my RHL5.1 ... I had it
working before, but that was before using DHCP I now realise ... I'll have
to check if this might make a difference. I never had any WINS configured
though. I also have to check whether 2.0.3 improves things.

Thanks

- Alex