Re: Telnet problems

Kendall Lister (kendall@charon.net.au)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:46:16 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, LM VAN PIGGELEN wrote:

> When I try to telnet to localhost or from another computer to my box,
> I get the message "Connection refused". Everything is set allright in
> /etc/services and in /etc/inetd.conf. What should be set in
> /etc/hosts.allow and /ect/hosts.deny to allow telnetting on my box?

If you have nothing in either hosts.allow or hosts.deny then access will
be granted. Is inetd actually running? What messages appear in your
computer's logs (the one you are trying to telnet into, that is)?

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781