Re: Telnet problems

Travis Low (tlow@mindq.com)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:54:17 -0400

At 11:38 AM 6/16/99 +0200, LM VAN PIGGELEN wrote:

>When I try to telnet to localhost or from another computer to
>my box, I get the message "Connection refused". Everything is
>set allright in /etc/services and in /etc/inetd.conf. What should
>be set in /etc/hosts.allow and /ect/hosts.deny to allow telnetting
>on my box?

"Connection refused" is usually tcp-speak for "nothing is listening on that TCP port". Which means that the telnet daemon might not be running.

<rant>Don't you just hate dumb error messages? They cost billions of dollars a year in wasted time.</rant>

<tip>To check a specific port, type "telnet hostname portnum". So "telnet www.linux.org 80" would get you a "connection refused" message if the linux.org webserver is down.</tip>

Travis Low - tlow@mindq.com
MindQ Publishing 11490 Commerce Park Drive #400 Reston VA 20191-1532 USA
http://www.mindq.com
+1 703 262 6616 (direct)
+1 703 716 0237 (fax)

"The sager is off the ping!" -- Tiernan Low