RE: Hooking two notebooks without ethernet

Alexander.vanLuijpen@nym.sc.philips.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:37:44 +0200

[Luijpen, Alexander van] Hello Henrique

> I have a school project where we need to talk about live video-conference,
> so I was thinking of getting two notebooks, each one with a webcam, and
> make everyone happy.

[Luijpen, Alexander van] Making everybody happy is a good cause

> So I was thinking of using a notebook with LINUX and another with WINDOWS
> 98.

[Luijpen, Alexander van] yuck ... do you have to ? (use win98 that
is ;-)

> So I need to create a very-small TCP/IP private LAN with only two
> computers. I am already familiar with ethernet networking.
>
> BUT.. they won't come with PCMCIA ethernet cards. Sure I can just buy
> them, but I was thinking.. is there another way of hooking these two
> computers?

[Luijpen, Alexander van] there are several

> Something like a DTE-DTE serial cable, parallel cable, telephone lines and
> regular modens?? Would this work with LINUX x WINDOWS, or LINUX x LINUX
> or
> even WINDOWS x WINDOWS?

[Luijpen, Alexander van] A parallel cable should work - check out
PLIP
Using a nullmodem cable or a modem should easily be possible .. just
configure one machine to listen to the serial port / modem, and act like a
mini ISP. Linux - Win shouldnt be a problem (both Par and Ser) since it
mostly functions like a standard ISP setup (many ISPs are UNIX, and dial-in
clients Win98)
Linux - Linux will work probably even easier. Win98 - Win98 is also
possible, because Win98 should be able to act as a dial-in server. (not to
mention direct cable connection, although this isnt based on TCP/IP I think)

What might be a problem, is the software - I dont know any software
that does VideoConferencing between Linux & Win98

Thanks!