Re: Traffic Shaping

Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:05:30 -0600

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 10:08:11AM +0200, Flippie Spies wrote:
> Can any one tell me were I can get a traffic shaping program that works on
> linux. I've tried shaper but:

I run an ISP and needed to throttle bandwidth to some co-located servers
so I tried out the Traffic Shaper -- with disappointing results (BTW, I
use debian so installing shaper was a simple as typing 'apt-get install
shaper' which pulled it from some debian mirror somewhere so I never
experienced the compiling problems you mentioned).

After discussing the problem with a friend of mine (who happens to write
related software for a local router company) he pointed me to CBQ (Class
Based Queueing) which is in the Linux kernel already and (among many
other things) does just what the traffic shaper does (but actually works
and is _way_ more flexible).

If you have debian, type 'apt-get install iproute', otherwise go and
visit ftp://ftp.nc.ras.ru/pub/mirrors/ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/ and
download the latest and greatest iproute source code. You'll want a 2.2
kernel with just about everything under "Networking options"/"QoS and/or
fair queueing" compiled in (or as modules).

Also, if you wish to avoid learning a completly new vocabulary (which
you need to do to harness the full power of CBQ) check out the very cool
CBQ.init script from:
ftp://ftp.equinox.gu.net/pub/linux/cbq/
which lets you do per route/host traffic shaping with a few simple commands
such as:
DEVICE=eth1,10Mbit,1Mbit
RATE=28Kbit
WEIGHT=2Kbit
PRIO=5
RULE=192.168.1.1

This is a feature of the kernel that has not yet gotten as much
publicity as it deserves. Very cool stuff!

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org