Re: ifconfig and routing

Tuan Hoang (tuan@optimus.mitre.org)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:13:26 +0000 (GMT)

I can't take my machine IP off the network but this works for aliases.
If you specify a netmask of 255.255.255.255, it shouldn't set the
route to the subnet.

Although the output for ifconfig will show a broadcast route anyway.
After all, it is a broadcast medium right?
Not sure if it's a kernel thing or ifconfig "feature" that does that.

later,
Tuan