Re: PCI BIOS has not enabled this device

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

On 20 Jun 1999, Harry Putnam wrote:

> This boot message: The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device!
> Updating PCI command 0000->0005.
> And: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable (when calling ifup eth0)
> This machine is network enabled when booted into win/98, and can be
> accessed by the other machines. Not so, when booted into Linux.
> The relevant boot messages (date and host kernel pruned)
> tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0xf400, 00 a0 cc 3a 83 b7, IRQ 255.

This card has not been assigned an IRQ. Typically x86 machines use IRQ 0 to
indicate this, but IRQ 255 was originally the correct value.

> Another machine on the lan is running the same version of Redhat and
> the dentical Netgear adaptor and "tulip" driver. The concomittant
> boot messages from there show a small difference: (Network working on
> this machine)
> tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0x6000, 00 a0 cc 3a 7f 87, IRQ 10.

This card has been assigned an IRQ.

Read
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html
I'm guess that you have a BIOS setting (incorrectly) named "PnP OS" that
needs to be changed.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html