Re: How can I get max debug level of pppd?

Harry Putnam (reader@newsguy.com)
20 Jun 1999 18:28:47 -0700

"Marc Owen" <mowen@gmx.net> writes:

> >I already setup "pppd ... debug ...." but it's still does not
> >provide enough info.
> >Pls. help me!
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >-
> >To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in
> >the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu
> >

> Try adding smt like
> 'daemon.=debug /var/log/whatever_logfile' in your syslog.conf
> (/etc/syslog.conf).
> It should log everything in whatever_logfile (not sure, haven't tested
> meself yet).

A quick and dirty way to do this on Redhat is to add this to
/etc/syslog.conf:

#*.debug /var/log/debug

Remove the (#) when you want full-on debug info, replace it when you
don't. I'm sure there is neater syntax that will limit output to pppd
or whatever, but this will log *LOTS* of stuff so be sure to turn it
off when not in use.

When tinkering with the ppp setup you might want to run `tail -f
/var/log/debug' on the above file to keep a running account of what is
happening.

Stock redhat has no specific log file for ppp stuff, just uses the
system log, so this may not work on a system that has a specif
ppp.log. I think it will though.