Re: DNS PROBLEM

Franklin Balluff (franklin-balluff@sugen.com)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:07:47 -0700

Mervin,

It is a reverse lookup problem. Your DNS must have a PTR record entry in
the subnet where it exists.

In /var/named (or wherever you are keeping your name database), there should
be a file that is of the form 'db.192.168.10' with the assumption that your
ip domain is class-C and starts with 192.168.10. Your address is probably
different.

Edit that file and add a record at the end:

3 PTR dns.yourdomain.com

The assumption is that your DNS is at address 192.168.10.3. Please also put
the correct hostname and domain for your DNS. Put the appropriate 8-bit number
in place of 3. Restart the name service. Test nslookup. Congrats!

--Franklin Balluff
Unix Systems Engineer
Sugen, Inc.