Re: Equal Cost Multipath?

Brian Anderson (bunicula@mediaone.net)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 07:53:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:

> Sorry to butt in but there is an alternative. Get Alexey's IP utility and
> set up a single default route with multiple endpoints. Then each PACKET
> goes via each path. O' course you can confuse apps under Windorks that
> don't understand this method (as in you are talking directly to a NT Quake
> server... 8-})

Hrm... I'd rather see less efficient balancing, with less error, than
better balancing but with less problems...

> ip route add default nexthop eth0 nexthop eth1

that's interesting tho... i grabbed the utility, and will probably try
both ways and see which works better.

> Hehehe - Actually the above default route will split the packets and give
> new addresses as well due to the ip masq occuring AFTER the routing code
> call. Just need single masq call in ipchains as if a standard single out
> box.
>
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s meownnet/cidr -d 0/0

now this should be the same if i add 2 default routes, right?

while i'm at it, does anyone have any suggestions for an app to monitor
traffic and see if this is really working?

brian