Re: Dos to Linux

Richard A. Hall (hydros_by_hall@compuserve.com)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:57:42 GMT

Thank you all for the ideas on getting Linus to talk to my Dos machine.
However that project has just become academic.

I set up masquerading so my win98 machine can share ppp0 with Linux. All
was working until I entered -detach in the /etc/ppp/options file and
pd:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd in the /etc/inittab file. I hoped this would
cause a reconnect in the event of a disconnect. I tested this by unplugging
the modem. It did not redial so I "shutdown -r now".

Upon restart everything seemed normal until the "login" prompt. At this
point the hard drive would read (or write) and garbage appears on the crt.
The net doesn't start and as soon as the first garbage character appears a
normal login is impossible. I can do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete so the keyboard
isn't locked, I just can't type fast enough to login. Pressing return
doesn't cause another login prompt. Switching to another virtual console
looks ok for a split second, then the garbage appears there too.

Any thoughts short of a re-install?

Thanks,
Richard Hall (almost sobbing)