Re: Redhat network setup..

C. Philip Wood (cpw@lanl.gov)
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:44:35 -0600

For what it's worth, while trying to install RH 5.2 on a recent DELL box, the
module groking scripts could not find a workable driver for the ethernet card.
It appeared (based on NT that this card should work with the 3c59x.o module.
I ran a vortex diagnostic (from cesdis) which indicated that the card was
a 3c905C Tornado. After a few false starts (i pulled the 3c59x.c driver
from the web onto an NT box and stored as text on a floppy and had some
compile problemsdue to a few miscellaneous ^M's lying about) I was able to
make the module and install it, and, after a crash course in RH startup
scripts, the kernel saw the driver and life was good.

The bad news was in the middle of all this, I tried using an RH 6.0 cd and
it had the same problem during the install.

Anyhow, this version of the code worked for me:

3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html\n";

I found it at:

ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/pub/linux/ethernet/3c59x.c

Thanks,

Phil

PS: Your cyclone might be a tornado %^)