Re: Antw: ethernet pacet minimum size (again)

BIONDI Philippe (Philippe.BIONDI@enst-bretagne.fr)
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:15:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Michael Tross wrote:

> Hi,
> it's the Ethernet MAC layer who has to pad short packets,
If you mean it is the soft which tell exactly what to send (from the mac
adresses to the end of the data, without the crc) I agree. Hence, where is
the bug? Where are my padding bytes ?

> many Ethernet MAC
> controllers do this automically on the chip.

Maybe, but I think it is not the case here. I think the kernel build the
whole packet (because you can change your MAC adress, and because of the
principle of simplicity :)).
Anyway, even if the MAC controller padd, i should see the padding bytes
because the target mac controller can't make difference between data and
padding bytes. So where are they??

>Think of other medias like
> FDDI or a serial connection, they don't have the 60-Byte restriction.
They don't use the ethernet layer! They use a ppp layer or FDDI layer...

> btw, the content of the padding area depends on your hardware, the need
> not be 0s.

I'll remember :)

Philippe