Re: "Raw IP": is it possible?

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:03:29 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Let's say I wanted to transfer data through a WAN link from Linux to
> > another Linux, but with, say, pure HDLC as the data link layer (instead of
> > PPP, or Frame Relay, or X.25, or ...). Something like this:
> >
> > IP -> Hardware (which provides HDLC) -> Link -> Hardware -> IP
> >
> > Is it possible??
>
> Yes
>
> > Comments??
>
> Use the cisco hdlc encapsulation code in the 2.2/2.3.x drivers/net/syncppp.c
> code. Thats basically the same stuff but with address checking and keepalives

The problem is that the solution needs to be able to work
unidirectionally, i.e., it should not require acknowledges, shouldn't care
about sequence numbers, etc. It should be able to just send data while the
other side just receives it and does whatever it wants with it.

Well, that's all I know about the idea (I don't know what good it is for).
In this case, I believe that Cisco HDLC won't work. Is there any other
way?

Regards,
Ivan