Re: Problem using minicom to connect to ISP

Neil Aggarwal (neil@JAMMConsulting.com)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:22:58 -0600

Kendall:

OK, I see that they wont let me use a scripted
login. They want me to use PPP first and
then they will figure out the login stuff
within ppp.

So, how do I do that? Are there any
dial-up networking clones for Linux?

Thanks,
Neil.

Kendall Lister wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
>
> > Anyway, when I go into minicom and I type
> > ATDT 9723750501
> > I connect and then it presents me with a login.
> >
> > I enter my login and password and it says that the login failed.
> >
> > I called Qwest and they said that they dont support Linux and say that
> > I cant use their service from a terminal.
> >
> > This seems like a buncha crock to me. There has to be a way to
> > configure dial-up service with Qwest on my Linux machine.
>
> Not really - they might only support PPP connections, authenticating via
> PAP/CHAP. However, just because they won't help you connect using Linux
> doesn't mean that they don't support Linux - if Windows can connect, so
> can Linux.
>
> --
> Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
> Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781

 **We pay a 5% finders fee for job referrals that lead to a contract*