Re: Load balancing

Chuck Hemker (n2por@amsat.org)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 02:36:41 -0500 (EST)

On 13-Dec-99 Lucas wrote:

> I suppossed it. My problem is that I have an 128K connection. When
> someone makes an ftp the rest of the computers get into a slow
> connection. I want to avoid this, but I donīt know how to do it. I could
> have another 64K connection. Is it posible to masq all the trafic with
> port dest. 21 to a specific device ( ippp2 )??? I have the two
> connection in one machine, two isdns.
>
> I use RH with 2.2.13.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Lucas
>

>> Because of the nature of an FTP session (two connections: one to a well
>> known
>> port, and the other using a runtime-generated port), i doubt that this can
>> be
>> easily done. \8(
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Lucas wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Iīve the same scenario. Is it posible to send all
>> > ftp-traffic by the
>> > 64K channel and the rest by the 128K ????
>> >
>> > How ???

If your using a standard ftp client (not something like netscape the uses PASV)
and your talking to an RFC complient ftp server (creates the data connections
from port 20 on the server) you might be able to do this based on port numbers.

However, if your using different ip addresses on the two links, then it would
probably get confused on any connection that didn't follow these rules (it
might get confused if the control channel is taking a different path than the
data channel). So this would probably only work well in a situation where
someone is reguarly going out to a particular server (like you need to download
a big file daily).

Otherwise, to do this you will probably either need to use some sort of proxy
for ftp or dig into the NAT code and figure how it changes the control channel
on the fly.

Possible, but not exactly easy.

I've done some wierd things in the past, but I havn't played with ip chains
or NAT enough to know the details. :)