Re: A second question of Security

Alex Pope (pope@extrem.org)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:14:40 +0000 ( )

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Mathias Feiler wrote:

> Hello All of You...
>
> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
> > To determine what is actually being run, use "netstat -a". To disable
> > services that you don't want, comment out the corresponding entry in
> > /etc/inetd.conf. If the service isn't listed there (sendmail, httpd,
> > NFS etc won't be), then it's a standalone daemon which is being run
> > via init.
> > --
> > Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>
>
> So I checked for ports listening on my machine
> .... and ...
> found some ports on which a service seems to be listening, but
> I was'nt able to tell what process it was.
> I worked it out by just killing one by one ... Bloddy !
>
> Now the Q:
> Is there a standard way (Linux,Aix,Solaris,..) to get the
> port-process-mapping out of the kernel?
> I.e. something like "netstat -UgglySwitch" or such

quote from man netstat (netstat 1.38 (1999-04-20), net-tools 1.52):
-p, --programs
displays process name and PID of the owner of each socket it
dumps. You have to be the owner of such process to have all
its sockets matched to it or generally root user will see all
the nesessary information in place.