Re: masquarading and virtual hosts

TimO (hairballmt@mcn.net)
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 19:12:35 -0700

Hmmm... I may be a moron but; it seems to me if you could do this, you
wouldn't need IP Masquerading.:) I believe that unless you have a
registered domain, all packets have to go out using your ISP assigned
address. Otherwise they go out and have no way to get back to your (really
nonexistent) domain. If you're asking if packets sent out from any machine
on your local net will return to that same machine, this is pretty default
behavior (depending on your ipchains ruleset) by fowarding your subnet,
ie.: ipchains -A forward -s
192.168.34.0/24 -j MASQ.

Merlin Of Chaos wrote:

> i'm masquaradnig a localnet using ipchains, the question i got is, is
> there any way to masq them using some virtual hosts, i do have plenty of
> them in fact... lets say for example 192.168.1.1 to go out as one host,
> 192.168.1.2 as another and so... if u could guide me to some
> documenation, i couldn't find any ... 10x in advance and have a merry
> christmas

-- Tim