Re: [patch] ioremap + check_mem_region for 8390 drivers

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:03:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > And made the same mistake I did originally. Ifconfig now reports wrong values
> > because dev->mem_start/end are defined to be physical addresses by the kernel.
> > You probably need to add a dev->vmem_start, dev->vmem_end. SIOCGIFMAP is then
> > not broken.
>
> Actually, no need for vmem_end, why would anybody care?
>
> So just call it "dev->base"..

We should just get rid of
dev->rmem_end
dev->rmem_start
dev->mem_start
dev->mem_end
dev->dma

Most of these are used only in obsolete ISA drivers, which really should
keep them in a local structure. We should replace at least two of the
values with, say, "param1" and "param2" so that LILO parameters still work.

We should retain
dev->irq
dev->base_addr
but change the latter documentation to /* I/O or memory address */

There should not be provisions for a user-level program to modify the irq or
base_addr, since these should never be changed with PCI, USB, CardBus, etc.
Changing the param1..paramN values should be permitted from a user-level
program.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS, becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov