Re: Networking Problem

Shane Ramey (shane@broadlink.com)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:38:51 -0500

Assuming your IP configuration is set up correctly:

Are you running tcpdump on matthew.zeaiter or daniel.zeaiter? You may want
to run tcpdump on one host and ping from the other and vice versa.Also, be
sure you using 50 ohm terminators at the end of your coax.

- Shane

Daniel Zeaiter wrote:

> I am having trouble getting my network going.
>
> I have two computers connected to a network, both with 10\100 ethernet
> cards (one's a PCMCIA in a laptop, the other is a PCI, on a desktop).
> The laptop is running Win98 and the desktop is running RH Linux 6.1
> (Kernel 2.2.12).
>
> When I try to ping either machine, from either box, it either tells me
> "Host Unreachable" or "Operation Timed Out". However I have noticed,
> whenever I try to ping, the TX packet errors for the eth0 interface on
> the linux box go up , and up.
>
> Also, when I run a tcpdump, I get this message. ("matthew" is the
> hostname for the Win98 box, "daniel" for the Linux box, and "zeaiter" is
> the domain):
>
> 12:16:10.167.102 > arp who-has matthew.zeaiter tell daniel.zeaiter
> (0:10:b5:4:47:fb)
>
> Just in case it matters, it's not a 10Base2 network, but a 10BaseT
> network. And because there are only two computers in the network, I'm
> connect the network cards directly (with just one cable), without a hub.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Daniel.
>
> --
>
> Daniel Zeaiter
> E-Mail: daniel@academytiles.com.au
> Phone: 0408 242 500
> ICQ: 16889511
> Website: homepages.ihug.com.au/~mdzeater

Shane Ramey
Network Systems Administrator
BroadLink Communications, Inc.