umount [-f] on a unused "busy" partition?

From: Tom Zerucha (tz@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 19:29:17 EST

For example, I start up xterm while my "current" directory is
/mnt/floppy. I won't be able to umount the floppy until I kill the
xterm, even if the new xterm chdir-s away from the floppy and doesn't
have any open files.

Currently I am running something that will take about an hour on a
partition I really want to umount. Oops on my part, but there are NO
open files (or lsof AND fuser are lying) on that partition. umount -f
doesn't work (should it?).

I can probably do the hack myself, but I was wondering what the best
approach would be or if someone else out there has a patch or
something. Adding a feature so umount -f would work as long as there
were no open flies, just the unused "working" directory would suffice.
Any suggestions or help would be welcome.

For that matter, does umount -f do anything or work anywhere where
umount wouldn't?