Re: SO_LINGER patch for 2.2.15

From: Mark Gray (markgray@iago.nac.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 13:00:34 EST

Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> writes:

> stevek@SteveK.COM (Steve Kann) writes:
>
> > Hello, kernel-ites:
> >
> > I mentioned this in an earlier message titled "kernel blocks too
> > long with SO_LINGER", and since that time I did some investigation, and
> > have come to the conclusion that there is an error in the 2.2 kernel.
>
> There is never any "indefinate" block on close, because the retransmission
> timer for the FIN will kill (and wakeup) the sock after some time.
>
> IMHO the behaviour is correct, otherwise the application could not be
> sure that really all data has reached the other end. This way you are
> guaranteed to get a error return when data is lost.

Ah, but Stevens is (was, may he rest in peace) of the opinion that a
linger time of 0 should send a RST, and a stack that did not do this
was broken. (Mind you, having an application being able to send a RST
is unreliable because such a RST is not retransmitted, which is the
reason I always suspected Linux did not allow it -- but I would love
to hear that said out loud (and in the comments) by the Linux network
folk, given that Linux goes against the standard here.)