Laptop ATAPI ZIP

From: Alexy V. Khrabrov (braver@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 11:05:55 EST

Greetings -- I'm trying to get an ATAPI Zip drive
going on an Inspiron 7000. This is a modular
drive which inserts in the device bay instead of a
floppy/dvd combo.

Originally, I had ATAPI FLOPPY support enabled.
However, upon startup, I saw

hda: (my IDE drive recognized allright)
hdc: , ATAPI FLOPPY? ... deciding floppy -- or something.

Now, every time I try to mount /dev/hdc /mnt/zip

I get a ton of errors scrolling through teh screen
without the zip light ever blink (but the hard
drive light blinks!), and the messages read

ide-floppy: possible ide-floppy.c bug - Two request sense in serial were issued
ide-floppy: hdc: I/O Error, pc = 23, key = 0, asc = 0, ascq = 0
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
  ... (a ton of these)
ide-floppy: possible ide-floppy.c bug - Two request sense in serial were issued
ide-floppy: hdc: I/O Error, pc = 23, key = 0, asc = 0, ascq = 0
Error in REQUEST SENSE itself - Aborting request!

Now, I read a tip at ZIP-Drive-HOWTO, obsolete --
of 1998, about _disabling_ ATAPI FLOPPY suppor and
enabling IDE SCSI Emulation. OK, I made both as
modules. When I try to install ide-floppy, same
errors scroll. When, however, I load ide-scsi,
this is what I get:

hdc: <3>ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0
 unable to read partition table
scsi0: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host
scsi0 : channel 0 target 0 lun 0 requet sense failed, performing reset.
SCSI bus is being reset for channel 0.

I suspect it they try to read the hard drive, instead of the ZIP one.

When I enabled SCSI core support itself in the
kernel, the hdc: line reads something like HOLOFA
ZIP 100, ATAPI floppy, with a lot of @ thrown in.

Documentation/{ide, scsi}.txt don't talk about it,
do they? Anybody who made it work on an Inspiron
7000K? What the general problem can be?

--
Cheers,
Alexy Khrabrov -- www.suffix.com -- Segmentation f%^(&