Re: [KBUILD] Re: SCSI Makefile cleanup

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 14:13:32 EST

: Yes, there is a basic tension between the way I do things (lists
: that I like to sort in order to remove duplicates) and the way
: Linus does things (making the link order significant as of 2.3.15).
:
: Linus wins. :)

In the for what it is worth department: if you sort then the patches
generated from release to release are smaller. I've been tracking the kernel
for a while with BitKeeper and it is apparent that part of the patch size
is just random reordering of the dependencies.

I don't care if it is sorted order or some other order as long as there is
a deterministic order.