Re: Encrypted File systems implementation into the kernel?

From: Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 21:41:28 EST

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:
> >
> > > The biggest issue in the new U.S. regulations is the "foreign
> > > government" provision. I intend to file a comment recommending that
> > > this provision be removed, since it is inherently unworkable. This
> > > provision prohibits someone in the U.S. from "knowingly" export to a
> > > foreign government end-user (*any* foreign government, not just T-7.)
> > > This is of course idiotic, since it just takes someone *else* in that
> > > country downloading the stuff and giving to their government -- or the
> > > government getting an ISP account making them look like someone else.
> > > Whomever does that would be breaking U.S. law, but that's meaningless
> > > since they're outside U.S. jurisdiction.
> >
> > I saw that... Things like checking for .mil and .gov client sites.
> > How BOGUS! Still, only applies to binaries and not to open source software
> > SOURCES but that's little solace since Linus said that you planned to
> > include some binaries on the site.
> >

> *Especially* bogus since .mil and .gov are TLDs used by the *U.S.*
> government, quite specifically!!!! They also said to watch out for
> .gouv, which isn't even a domain.
>
> -hpa

"I follow the letter of the law if not it's spirit"
        -Calvin & Hobbes

Get that in writing and do as they demand ... lock the US gov out of your
ftp server. If they complain then you simply did as they requested and
thought it would work ...

        Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@imag.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.