Re: /proc/nzombies

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 01:29:18 EST

Jos Visser writes:

> I must say that I think calling the maintaining of the nzombies
> counter "bloat" is exaggerating.
>
> If I do a zombie count in userland every 5 minutes, the number of
> cycles this is going to burn is tremendously larger than performing
> the count inline in exit().

If everybody needed to constantly monitor zombies, you would
be correct. It is more efficient to do things your way...

Normal systems don't have such a high zombie population,
or maybe you are just less tolerant of a few zombies.
Millions of Linux users would have to spend CPU time so
that you can more quickly count zombies.

This isn't fair.