Re: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 02:58:17 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> > AC> Millions of apps rely on // working.
> >
> > Are you sure ? Why ? Till there no warning we can not check it.
>
> Because everyone knows // is fine so everyone is really sloppy about
> combining paths together.

The most "telling" example is that someone has a $TOPDIR variable.
If it is set to /usr/local and you want to put something in the etc
directory you use: $(TOPDIR)/etc . Now how do you specify a TOPDIR
of "/"? You'll end up with "//etc".

You could start out by requiring the variable to end in "/". But
nobody does that.

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********