Re: 2.3.48 devfs problem

From: Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 08:23:26 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> Seriously, guys - why the fuck did usbdevfs end up (a) outside of fs/*
> and (b) with unpronouncable name? I mean, ewwww...

The name was a mistake.

Why it is in drivers/usb? Because it's quite entangled with the usb
core,
not easy to separate without making internal USB stuff an "exported"
interface.

> linux-fsdevel@vger.rutgers.edu. If you are maintaining a
> filesystem - subscribe. Precisely because l-k is too cluttered.

I'm subscribed there, but granted I didn't announce anything there.

It's a standalone file system because it has fairly special needs
and the overhead of it being its own fs is small.

If people think this should be unified with devfs I'm open
to suggestions. Right now, usbdevfs needs its own inode numbering
scheme in order to find the appropriate usb_bus and usb_device structure
on open.

Tom