Occasional lockups when connecting with diald

From: Mark Sawle (mark@neutri.nu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 08:40:38 EST

Very rarely, but often enough to be annoying, I find that diald is capable
of completely locking up my machine, requiring a reset to get it going
again. The last thing logged in /var/log/messages is always that diald
was initiating a connection, using the connect script. I suspect a kernel
bug, as presumably no user space program should be able to cause lockups
of this nature, but I thought I'd also raise this on the diald list just
in case the problem does lie there.

I've had it happen when using a modem connected to a serial port with pppd
and also using an internal ISDN card with ipppd, so I've already
eliminated those as potential causes. It's also happened on two different
machines, one SMP and one not, so I think I've also ruled out a hardware
problem. I think it started when I upgraded to kernel 2.2.12, but I also
started using diald at around the same time and I haven't tried an older
kernel for long enough to be sure that it doesn't have the same problem.
I'm currently using 2.2.14 and Red Hat 6.1 on a single processor PII
machine. The version of diald is 0.99.3.

I'd be happy to provide more information about this problem but I'm not
sure what else would be useful at this stage.

--
Mark Sawle                  | mark@neutri.nu
Robinson College, Cambridge | mls26@cam.ac.uk