Re: Argument list too long: out of environment space

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:44:20 EST

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Stuart Inglis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have 9600 files in a directory and have troubles processing them. I
> thought it was a bash problem but Chet Ramey kindly informed me that
> it's a Linux kernel limitation.
>
> bash-2.03$ cd tttt/
> bash-2.03$ echo * | wc
> bash-2.03$ getconf ARG_MAX
> 131072
> bash-2.03$ grep hello *
> bash: /bin/grep: Argument list too long
> bash-2.03$ sort *
> bash: /bin/sort: Argument list too long
> bash-2.03$
>
> Why is this limit so small? There are only 9600 files taking a total of
> less than 300k to specify all of the names. The machine has 100's of Mb
> of RAM. Is it easy to change/fix?
>
> cheers
> Stuart

It's the length of the command line. What you are doing when you expand
the wildcards is to put every filename on the command-line. I don't
think this is what you want to do. If it is what you want to do, then
well,... I don't think anybody can help.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).