Re: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links

From: Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rnd-consulting.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 10:52:26 EST

Actually, this may be slightly, different. It appears taht if you write
a file to disk, windows automaticly recognizes it as a duplicate and manually
links it for you.

This means one of two things:

1) Windows scans your drive for duplicates at EVERY write, thus blowing
    disk and cpu utilization off the wall.
2) Windows keeps inventory of every file at every write either in cache
    or memory. Oh yeah, this will really help performance.

I think it's these inovations that keep Windows blazing along on my K6-2-500
comparably fast to my P200 Laptop running Gnome/Enlightenment.

No wonder hardware vendors like windows. Gotta keep upgrading.

Robert

Thus spake Burton Windle (bwindle@atlantic.net):