Re: HIGH MEMORY access

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 09:06:19 EST

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Now I'm confused: I thought that ioremap() should be used for reserved
> memory, and kmap() for normal memory (e820: ram) with
> page->virtual==NULL.

well you can use kmap() for anything, not just high memory. I suggested
kmap() because ioremap() relies on a working allocator and other
higher-level structures - kmap() certainly works better for smaller
structures such as the MP-table. ioremap() has the advantage of being
arbitrarily sized. But i havent tested wether ioremaps above 4GB (in PAE
mode) actually work. (they should, but the interface is not capable yet.)

        Ingo