Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 13:05:14 EST

> just wondering, could linux implement a 'hard' memory alloc policy? a la
> solaris/Tru64/and probably many other unices.. ie when memory is
> allocated to an app, it's /guaranteed/ to be there?

If someone wrote the code then yes. Basically it comes down to ensuring
that the total amount of address space is contained

Doing it perfectly is hard - very hard and I've yet to see anyone get it
right in the Unix world. Doing the general case is not so bad. Basically
whenever you create/destroy/modify a VMA you must ensure that there is
memory or swap for the VMA.