Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:49:53 EST

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:

>also, what is the difference between overcommit_memory set and not
>set. I understand from the doc's that when set it's 'free love man' as
>far as memory goes, but what are the restrictions put in place when ==
>0?

When overcommit is zero (default) at mmap time you compare the size of the
allocation with the amount of ""freeable"" memory available. So you
consider the cache as freeable while it may be mlocked in memory. But the
other way around almost always works. So basically it's safe to do such
check. Only the dcache is not accounted as a freeable resource (while it
can be) and so it may fool a bit the heuristic, but that's not a real life
issue.

Andrea